AFP The Hague
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has launched a "campaign of violence and hatred" against Qatar's citizens, the International Court of Justice was told on Wednesday.
Qatar also urged the world court to quash a case brought against it by Abu Dhabi.
The Gulf states are locked in a battle at the UN's top court, where the UAE on Tuesday asked judges to stop Qatar 'aggravating' a two-year-old crisis between Doha and other countries in the region.
Qatar's lawyers however hit back, saying in fact it was Abu Dhabi who continued with "discriminatory policies that severely impacted Qatari citizens".
"It is the Qatari people who are the true victims in the racial discrimination case, not the government of the UAE," Qatar's representative Mohammed Abdulaziz al-Khulaifi said.
This included Abu Dhabi's move to gag the Doha-based Al Jazeera global news network, the lawyer told the Hague-based tribunal.
"The silencing of... media voices is part-and-parcel of the UAE's campaign to incite violence and hatred against Qataris," al-Khulaifi said.
"Qatar has long been engaged in the fight against global terrorism and it continues to be."
Qatar has faced an economic and diplomatic boycott since June 2017 by some Gulf countries who accused Doha of backing terrorism and being too close to Iran.
Doha has repeatedly denied the claims, accusing its rivals of seeking regime change and alleging the UAE broke the 1965 International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination (CERD).
Last June, in a case brought by Qatar, the ICJ ruled that the UAE must allow families which include Qatari members to be reunited, and that Qatari students must be given the chance to complete their education in the Emirates.
Abu Dhabi on Tuesday went back to court, accusing Doha of blocking its own citizens from accessing to ease travel issues, and therefore failing to honour last year's judgment.
Al-Khulaifi also told the court that Qatar found a "high risk security breach" including so-called "malware" designed to infiltrate Qatar's information systems, on Emirati websites purported to ease travel issues of affected Qataris.
He said Doha told Abu Dhabi about the breach but the UAE was "yet to take steps."
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Prime Minister meets senior Russian official
MOPH confirms a case of MERS
Qatari-British parliamentary ties reviewed
Katara and Kahramaa sign MoU
CBQ, ECGC to host Commercial Bank Qatar Schools Golf Championship
‘Co-operation among GCC key to mitigate impact of natural calamity’
Education City tram ‘offering’ STEM learning opportunities
Samsung Galaxy S20 Series available to pre-order with Ooredoo
UN official praises outcome of social media conference