Hamas promises investigation into Gaza rocket fire
October 18 2018 11:32 PM
RELATED STORIES
Smoke billows following an Israeli air strike around the southern Gaza Strip city of Rafah
Gaza, after rocket fire. (file picture)

AFP/Gaza City

Gaza’s rulers Hamas yesterday pledged to launch an investigation into rocket fire at Israel the previous day. Israeli children returned to schools near the border with the Palestinian territory that had been closed on Wednesday after the pre-dawn rocket fire from Gaza badly damaged a family home in the southern city of Beersheba.  But the risk of a new war, whether through miscalculation or design, remained.
 Three children had a narrow escape after their mother moved them into the safe room, as much of the rest of the house was destroyed, the army said.  Hamas, which has ruled Gaza for a decade, issued a joint statement with its ally Islamic Jihad publicly disavowing the rocket fire.
 But Israel rejected their denial, saying they were the only groups armed with rockets of a range sufficient to reach Beersheba— 40km away — and the sea off Tel Aviv —  70km.  Israel in any case holds Hamas responsible, as Gaza’s de factor ruler, for all fire from the territory regardless of who launches it. “There are security service investigations in Gaza to uncover who is behind the rocket fire and there will be harsh measures against those (found guilty),” senior Hamas official Bassem Naim told AFP. 
He said the rocket fire “aimed to sabotage Egyptian efforts” to broker a long-term truce between Hamas and Israel, which have fought three wars since 2008.
Near daily protests along the border since March 30 against Israel’s crippling 11-year blockade of the impoverished enclave have sparked repeated clashes with the army.  More than 200 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire, while one Israeli soldier has been shot dead.
 Wednesday’s rocket fire triggered retaliatory Israeli air strikes that killed one suspected militant and raised fears of a new escalation.
 Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu chaired a meeting of the security cabinet lasting several hours on Wednesday evening.
 But no statement was released afterwards and Israeli media reported that ministers had failed to agree on how to respond to the rocket fire and the persistent protests. The mass circulation Yediot Aharonot newspaper said the swift action of the mother in Beersheba to protect her family had probably prevented a new war.
Hamas seized control of Gaza from loyalists of Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas in a near civil war in 2007 and the split has made peace negotiations with Israel harder. 
Egypt and the UN have been seeking to broker an agreement that would see Israel relax its blockade of Gaza in exchange for a prolonged period of calm from Hamas.



There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS