Uganda monitors border as Congo's Ebola death toll at 97
September 19 2018 06:27 PM
Irene Nakasiita
"We have established isolation centres for case management and deployed 3 ambulances to support any evacuation," Ugandan Red Cross spokeswoman Irene Nakasiita said.

dpa/Goma/Kampala

Ninety-seven people have died of suspected Ebola in eastern Congo, according to the health ministry, as neighbouring Uganda works to combat the spread of the virus across the border.

The outbreak of the deadly disease began shortly after the country's government in June declared an end to another outbreak - in the west of the country - and lauded those involved for managing to swiftly contain the disease.
But access to Congo's east is difficult due to the region's ongoing conflict. The health ministry said 142 people are suspected of having been infected there.
The World Health Organization warned last month that some areas are inaccessible because of the more than 100 armed groups that are mainly fighting over access to mineral resources.
There is also the added problem of the movement of internally displaced people in North Kivu province, and their possible cross-border travel into Uganda or Rwanda.
"We have established isolation centres for case management and deployed 3 ambulances to support any evacuation," Ugandan Red Cross spokeswoman Irene Nakasiita told dpa.
"We are supervising hand washing, footspraying, temperature screening to ensure monitoring for all new entrants at each of the entry points," she added.



There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS