A large explosion tore through a mosque in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar during Friday prayers, killing at least 15 people and wounding 31, with the casualty toll likely to rise, officials said.
Taliban interior ministry spokesman Qari Saeed Khosti said authorities were collecting details of the explosion, which took place days after a suicide bomb attack claimed by Islamic State (ISIS) on a mosque in the northern city of Kunduz that killed scores of people.
Photographs and mobile phone footage posted by journalists on social media showed many people apparently dead or seriously wounded on the bloody floor of the Imam Bargah mosque.
A health official said 15 dead and 31 wounded had been brought to the city's Mirwais hospital but the total was expected to rise, with ambulances still bringing victims in.
Taliban special forces arrived to secure the site and an appeal went out to residents to donate blood for the wounded.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
The blast, coming so soon after the Kunduz attack underlined the increasingly uncertain security in Afghanistan as the Taliban grapple with an escalating economic and humanitarian crisis that threatens millions with hunger.
The local affiliate of ISIS, known as Islamic State Khorasan, after an ancient name for the region covering Afghanistan, has stepped up attacks following the Taliban victory over the Western-backed government in Kabul in August.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
How Afghanistan’s asset freeze hurts everyone
No US troops to be punished over deadly Kabul drone strike
'God will take revenge' says Afghan father of US drone strike victim
‘Troika Plus’ group seeks to ease access to banking services in Afghanistan
New US special envoy for Afghanistan to meet Taliban in Pakistan: official
19 killed in attack on Kabul military hospital
UN says over half of Afghans face ‘acute’ food crisis
Taliban govt promised aid but no recognition
Malala urges Taliban to let girls return to school