Palestinian medic shot in clashes succumbs to wounds
June 12 2019 01:28 AM
RELATED STORIES
Adel
Adel, the son of paramedic Mohamed al-Jdaili, who succumbed to his wounds a month after being shot during clashes along the Gaza border, chants during his father’s funeral in the Bureij refugee camp, in the central Gaza Strip, yesterday.

AFP/Ramallah

A Palestinian medic has succumbed to his wounds a month after being shot during clashes along the Gaza border, Palestinian officials said.
Mohamed al-Jdaili, 36, died after being hit by Israeli fire, the Palestinian health ministry said on Monday.
The Palestinian Red Crescent organisation said in a statement he had been hit in the face by a rubber-coated bullet “while performing his humanitarian duties” in northern Gaza on May 3.
Since the injury he had been receiving treatment in Hebron in the occupied West Bank, it said.
There was no reaction from the Israeli army.
Palestinian official news agency Wafa said the father of four was hurt while treating wounded people near the border fence in Jabalia in northern Gaza.
Palestinians have been gathering along the heavily-guarded Israeli border fence since March 2018, demanding Israel end the crippling blockade of the strip.
The Jewish state accuses the strip’s rulers Hamas of orchestrating the often-violent protests.
On the day Jdaili was hit two Israeli soldiers were injured by gunfire.
It sparked a two-day flare up, with hundreds of rockets fired from the strip towards Israel and dozens of targets struck by the Jewish state in response.
At least 294 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire in Gaza since March 2018, the majority in the border clashes, according to an AFP toll.
Six Israelis have been killed.
According to the World Health Organisation three other Palestinian medics have been killed during the border protests. In June 2018 22-year-old medic Razan Najjar died while working on the border. Her case grabbed global attention.
ISRAEL FURTHER 
REDUCES FISHING ZONE
Israel reduced the fishing zone it allows off Gaza for the second time in a week, an official said yesterday, following a spate of attacks by Palestinians using balloons to spark fires.
A spokeswoman for COGAT, the Israeli defence ministry unit that oversees such regulations, said Gazans would be allowed to fish up to six nautical miles offshore “until further notice.”
Yesterday, the permitted fishing zone had been taken down from a maximum of 15 nautical miles to 10. 
A spokesman for the Israeli fire service said incendiary balloons from Gaza caused seven fires just yesterday. On June 4, Israel had restored the limit to 15 miles after a previous reduction in response to fire balloons the previous week. It imposed a similar cut on May 23. In the past year, Palestinians have succeeded in setting fire to large areas of farmland in southern Israel.
Israel and Palestinian fighters in Gaza, run by Hamas, have fought three wars since 2008.



There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS